Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Inspirations

Image courtesy of  'The Concise Gray's Anatomy'  C.H Leonard AM, MD

When I look at anatomy books, I once again marvel at how incredible the human body is. Really it's amazing how complex our systems are and yet they work both in a co-dependant as well as independent state. 

I am absolutely fascinated by these intricate and detailed images, and I find them exquisitely beautiful!

I spent months drawing in my journals the various muscles, ligaments, organs and body parts, studying the lines, the inter-weaving and inter-connecting tissue and veins. I admit to becoming obsessed with the pituitary and pineal gland to the point of completing a series of oil on canvas paintings....!!

And so this is what I love about mark making, referencing the representational in an emotive and abstracted manner.

Yes you might say it's an unusual past time looking at 'body parts', but oh how enthralling it is!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails