Saturday, August 28, 2010

The addiction and process continues ....

In an earlier post I talked about my desire to continue with this series of detailed pen and ink drawings with the concept of 'The Weaving'.

Well this past week has certainly seen me spending every spare minute completing more of these. It's been like an addiction. Seriously, each drawing takes many hours to complete and then I would start another!! I just couldn't 'get enough'.

And the more I have worked on these, the more my energy has shifted, the happier and more connected I have felt too all aspects of my self.

That's a big statement for me to make.

And note when I say I 'couldn't get enough'  I have managed to only get four completed, I'm not talking ten or twenty works here!!

Are they any good? Do they still continue to be individual ( stand alone) works?
Have I honoured the concept and the authenticity of self? Have the designs and colour used in a few of them worked? Am I happy with them?

The process has and always will be the most important aspect of my work.
The Process.

You know as I sit here writing this down, (and writing has always been my 'tool' that I use to 'think' things through and get those thoughts or feelings out), I am so aware of the honesty in that statement.
The process has and always will be the most important aspect of my work.
I thrive on it. I need it.

To become so fully immersed that everything else ceases to exist, there is only 'now' and that act of  pen to paper, brush and paint to paper or canvas is all consuming....
That emotional connection to the work itself during the process, during the very act of creating. Mentally preparing oneself through simply making the time and space, gathering the implements and materials needed. Putting the work aside when one knows it is time to stop, to look at it again in the light of day and assess. Placing various sized paper over sections of the drawing to protect it as you work on another area.

All these and more are a part of that process.

Hence why when the work is finally completed, matted and framed, it is done. My emotional connection to it ceases. It is now for others to interpret or perceive and hopefully connect too.

I am trying to train my self to document my work by photographing, cataloguing and recording the details. I have always struggled with this aspect. It is one I am not comfortable with. (It fits within the category of professional and artist in the same sentence ...and I shake my head and make a grimace!!)
However I am trying and will put some images up soon!!

In the meantime ...and I smile with pleasure ...hmmm wasn't I still needing to work on those 'pods of hope' series !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails